“10% of your life is action (what happens to you). The other 90% is reaction (how you respond to it)”
In the district I work in we use the equation E+R=O (Events + Response = Outcome) as a part of our culture for staff and students. We realize that we can’t always control the event but we have control over the response to the event which ultimately determines the outcome we get. This week, my wife and I purchased some flowers for our front yard. #GrownUpStuff The problem with purchasing flowers is that you have to plant them. I would come home from work, look at them in the garage, and then walk past them. Last night, we realized that with traveling out of town this weekend for Memorial Day that we had to plant these suckers. It was 8:46 PM.
I reached in my pocket and asked Siri, “What time does the sun set tonight?” She responded, “The sun will set at 8:48 PM tonight.” As the sun faded we went from the idea of just placing the flowers in the spots we wanted them to planting all of them. By the time I was on the last flowers, it was full on darkness and I had 4 mosquito bites but we got it done.
Now I’m not recommending you garden at night. The point is that your response matters! Don’t be paralyzed by the “action” or what happens to you in life that you can’t control. Spend your time on the reaction or your response to get the outcome you want. I was honestly fearful to check out the outcome of our late night gardening experience this morning but am happy to report it turned out pretty darn good.